Ever needed to retrieve a saved Veeam password? I did – Found the process for it on Veeam forum.
Open SQL Studio as administrator and connect to the Veeam DB instance
Run query from below on the VeeamBackup database
SELECT TOP (1000) [id]
Get the password hash from the results (match the description to the one you need). Then run PowerShell below with the hash you grabbed.
Add-Type -Path "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.Common.dll"
$encoded = 'AQAAANCM....RhQ'
Is this a security problem? Depends, but it will give you a reminder on how important it is to keep your Veeam VBR server safe. Never domain join and have the firewall closed as much as posible. If a malicious person comes by your Veeam server they can grab the keys for the rest of your infrastruture, including yout backup ofcause. Most cases that would mean gameover.
This post will give a brief write-up on what to expect from a network perspective when using the Veeam Network Extention.
Since you found this post I don’t think an introduction is needed. But anyway. A quick write-up of the network so you can visualize how the test is performed.
Greenline indicated the L2 VPN made from both NEA to CloudGateway
The on-prem environment with 10gbit internet uplink
Service provider with multiple 10gbit internet uplinks
4ms between on-prem and service provider
So when a replica VM has been failover and the NEA L2 is running. What to expect? Veeam does not give you any info on the performance of the NEA. Veeam support is not either able to give out a performance chart. So here a the results from ping and iperf test.
Test 1 – ping of latency over the L2 tunnel:
So from a latency perspective, it seems good. Only adding 1ms to the internet latency. Which is pretty good.
Test 2 – iperf over tunnel
About 110Mbit, not very good compared to the internet being able of doing 10Gbit.
8 threads are not giving any further bandwidth.
Test 3 – Multiple VLAN with multiple NEA
It’s always interesting to find where the bottleneck could be. Since iperf over the internet is giving a completely different result. then it must be within NEA. When I tried to do multiple VLAN bridges to the cloud resources in Cloud Director I get the same results pr NEA. Meaning it could be something in NEA or its components making the bottleneck.
The good news is off cause that you will see the same result pr NEA even when doing iperf test to the same target in the other end. So NEA will scale linearly.
NEA is a very helpful solution, especially when it comes to large migrations where L2 between datacenters is required meanwhile migrating. Bandwidth using this solution is not great, but I would say is ok. L2 connection should only be used shortly when doing actually migrations.
In numbers, it seems NEA will add +1ms to the latency seen over the internet between the two environments. Bandwith is between 110 to 140mbit pr sec.
This information can be found in many other places on the big internet, but since I can never find it myself, I will make a post more about the procedure.
When you switch ESXi host, vCenter, or remove and add from inventory your VM will get a new ID. In the world of VMware, it’s called MoRef ID.
When this happens Veeam will lose its coupling to the VM and backup will fail with: – Virtual Machine <> is unavailable and will be skipped from processing. – Nothing to process. All machines were excluded from task list.
How to verify there is a MoRef mismatch:
From a VMware perspective it’s easy:
connect-viserver <vcenter> -Credential $cred
Get-VM | select name, id
This will give you something like:
PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-VM | select name, id
From Veeam perspective it’s a bit harder since you will need to query the MS SQL database that Veeam uses. So download the SQL Studio Manager from Microsoft.
Open the SQL Studio Manager as administrator on the server to gain access to the Veeam database. You can use the following query to find the MoRef that is in the Veeam database:
SELECT [dbo].[BObjects].id, [dbo].[BObjects].object_id, [dbo].[BObjects].host_id, [dbo].[BObjectsSensitiveInfo].object_name, [dbo].[BObjectsSensitiveInfo].path
INNER JOIN [dbo].[BObjectsSensitiveInfo] ON [dbo].[BObjectsSensitiveInfo].bObject_id=[dbo].[BObjects].id
WHERE object_name = '<vmname>'
So we can now see that the VM in VMware has MoRef “vm-71326”. But Veeam database has “vm-992”. From here on you know what’s wrong and you need to open a Veeam support case to get the supported procedure.
If you don’t care about supported procedures you can update the database with VMware VM new MoRef ID and your VBR job should be running again. The SQL query would look like this:
SET [object_id] = 'new-id'
WHERE [object_id] = 'old-id'
It’s not that had to change the MoRef in the VBR database. But remember, if you care about having a supported installation. Then you need to create a Veeam support case and have them help you. Something could have changed in the VBR database schema since this post.